Skip to main content

The Importance of Hygge

What is hygge, and why is it important?

Hygge is a Danish word to describe a multitude of pleasant feelings, it can mean many things to many people. Hygge for me, may differ from hygge for you, but the ultimate goal is the same for everyone, to immerse yourself in a moment of pleasure, and to appreciate that moment.

Can I tell you how to hygge in a nutshell, not really, but I'll do my best to explain what it means to me. Hygge, pronounced hoo-gah, is often described as a feeling of cozy contentment. This is can be associated with many outlets, such as; the feeling of deep camaraderie while spending time with family and friends, the feeling you get while reading a good book by candlelight, or quietly savouring a hot cup of tea. It can be felt while taking a stroll in nature, felt when creating art, and felt when enveloped in a warm and welcoming  atmosphere.

Hygge is associated with a slower pace of life, and reflects upon the importance of treasuring the little things. Hygge recaptures feelings that may otherwise be lost. Notably, hygge reminds us to not let life slip by without noticing the presence of happiness.

I'm not Danish, or an expert in the field, but since discovering hygge this past winter I knew immediately that this was a lifestyle I could embrace. It doesn't require money, it doesn't require expensive equipment, you only need yourself, and the ability to acknowledge moments of contentment. We all to some extent hygge, what I think we lack in, is taking a moment to internalize the little pleasures life gifts us. Hygge is a state of mind.

It would take more than one blog post to fully explore hygge. Luckily there are plenty of books and resources dedicated to this topic, which I will write more on in future posts, but today I will leave it at this.

Hygge is free, hygge is easy, and hygge soothes the mind, body, and soul. Go find your hygge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chalk Paint Revival

When an idea pops into my head, sometimes it's good, and other times...well, maybe we shouldn't dwell on those other times . The latest idea: Experiment with painting furniture, a risk I was willing to take.     The original buffet and hutch, sans paint, and middle glass due to an, ahem, indoor ball incident.    After several years with young children running about, and sticking with dark furniture to hide all those greasy little fingerprints, it's time to convert to a home of my dreams, and to me that would be a more cozy, farmhouse feel. One of the most obvious changes to begin any home transformation is furniture. Buying all new furniture is not an option for us, however DIY revamps are. The chalk paint craze over the last couple of years seemed like a viable option. I started researching, and the more I investigated, the more confident I felt about taking the gamble. I decided to start with one section of my house, the small dinnin

DIY Photo Display Board

Photos tell stories. Who you love, where you've been, and what you've done. I became interested in photography once I had children. I wanted to document every special fleeting moment, and to treasure those moments again years down the road. But, once the children got older, and less amiable to posing for pictures, I began focusing my lens on the world around me. Since then I discovered the enjoyment I feel when I try to make the most mundane things look interesting, and to share what I see with the world. How to display and admire my favourites has become a quandary. Frankly, there's only so much room in ones home to hang photos and art before you begin to look cluttered and disorganized.  We all can't live in castles on the hill. My solution to this was to create a revolving interchangeable display for photos, cards, art, certificates, mementos, and anything else that deserves a place of honour. I can change it on a whim, and to whatever suits my current fa

DIY Plant Stand on Wheels

Having plants is a joy, and displaying them can be a joy too! As much as I love the unique leafy characteristics of my plants, a major part of the equation is proper presentation. Each plant has it's own personality, therefore each of them deserves a special spot of their own. My cozy little abode has limited space for all the things I love (there's so much to love), how do I make it all fit without looking cluttered? When there's limitations one is then forced to be creative. I looked high and low for the perfect plant shelf to fit a particular spot in my home. The criteria was as follows; 1) Wheels to save me from moving individual pots about in search of just the right lighting conditions, and 2) it needed to fit the modern rustic farmhouse theme that I have begun transitioning too. Unfortunately nothing seemed to fit the bill. When I accepted the fact that the vision I had in my mind wasn't going to be found, I knew I had to investigate diy options. I&#