Skip to main content

DIY Photo Display Board

Photos tell stories. Who you love, where you've been, and what you've done.

I became interested in photography once I had children. I wanted to document every special fleeting moment, and to treasure those moments again years down the road. But, once the children got older, and less amiable to posing for pictures, I began focusing my lens on the world around me. Since then I discovered the enjoyment I feel when I try to make the most mundane things look interesting, and to share what I see with the world.

How to display and admire my favourites has become a quandary. Frankly, there's only so much room in ones home to hang photos and art before you begin to look cluttered and disorganized.  We all can't live in castles on the hill.

My solution to this was to create a revolving interchangeable display for photos, cards, art, certificates, mementos, and anything else that deserves a place of honour. I can change it on a whim, and to whatever suits my current fancy, either it being greeting cards at Christmas, or a collection of favourite shots from our last family vacation. 

After some research I decided to make a simple DIY photo board. I needed a few supplies first that could be easily found at a budget price; a 1x4 board about 8 ft long, a ball of twine, decorative finishing nails, sandpaper, a small bottle of acrylic craft paint, small craft clothespins, rag, and command strips. Most of which I already had on hand.

Now on to the fun part:

1) I visited my local Lowe's, and asked them to cut a 1×4 board that was 8 ft long in two 2ft pieces, and one 4ft piece. I choose a pine board with lots of knots and holes for character. I rather have an imperfect rustic look.
2) At home, I sanded by hand to prevent any splinters while handling the boards.
3) Using a rag I then rubbed on watered down dark brown acrylic craft paint from the Dollar Store. A cheap, and less smelly, way to stain the boards. FYI, you can use any colour you like.
4) Once dry, I nailed on twine at each end with decorative finishing nails. I wrapped the twine tight around the nails before pounding them down permanently. Over time the twine will stretch naturally, so start with it tight.
5) Hang on the wall with Command Strips (one of the best inventions ever!!!). Use a level to be sure it's straight.
6) The best part. Hang cards, pictures, certificates, or mementos with the mini craft clothespins on the twine.

The longer 4ft photo board found a spot in my kitchen for family photos, while the two smaller boards now fill a space on an awkward small wall. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chalk Paint Revival

When an idea pops into my head, sometimes it's good, and other times...well, maybe we shouldn't dwell on those other times . The latest idea: Experiment with painting furniture, a risk I was willing to take.     The original buffet and hutch, sans paint, and middle glass due to an, ahem, indoor ball incident.    After several years with young children running about, and sticking with dark furniture to hide all those greasy little fingerprints, it's time to convert to a home of my dreams, and to me that would be a more cozy, farmhouse feel. One of the most obvious changes to begin any home transformation is furniture. Buying all new furniture is not an option for us, however DIY revamps are. The chalk paint craze over the last couple of years seemed like a viable option. I started researching, and the more I investigated, the more confident I felt about taking the gamble. I decided to start with one section of my house, the small dinnin

DIY Plant Stand on Wheels

Having plants is a joy, and displaying them can be a joy too! As much as I love the unique leafy characteristics of my plants, a major part of the equation is proper presentation. Each plant has it's own personality, therefore each of them deserves a special spot of their own. My cozy little abode has limited space for all the things I love (there's so much to love), how do I make it all fit without looking cluttered? When there's limitations one is then forced to be creative. I looked high and low for the perfect plant shelf to fit a particular spot in my home. The criteria was as follows; 1) Wheels to save me from moving individual pots about in search of just the right lighting conditions, and 2) it needed to fit the modern rustic farmhouse theme that I have begun transitioning too. Unfortunately nothing seemed to fit the bill. When I accepted the fact that the vision I had in my mind wasn't going to be found, I knew I had to investigate diy options. I&#