Skip to main content

Chalk Paint Revival

When an idea pops into my head, sometimes it's good, and other times...well, maybe we shouldn't dwell on those other times.

The latest idea: Experiment with painting furniture, a risk I was willing to take.




The original buffet and hutch,
sans paint, and middle glass due to an, ahem,
indoor ball incident.
After several years with young children running about, and sticking with dark furniture to hide all those greasy little fingerprints, it's time to convert to a home of my dreams, and to me that would be a more cozy, farmhouse feel. One of the most obvious changes to begin any home transformation is furniture.

Buying all new furniture is not an option for us, however DIY revamps are. The chalk paint craze over the last couple of years seemed like a viable option. I started researching, and the more I investigated, the more confident I felt about taking the gamble.

I decided to start with one section of my house, the small dinning room, before moving to other more drastic spaces. The buffet and hutch could be the statement piece of the room, I felt this was a good place to start the conversion of themes.

I'm not as brave as I would like think I am. Before I dared putting a brush on my own buffet and hutch, I bid on a test piece at an auction. I figured if it turned out as planned then I'd sell it, if I didn't achieve my vision, then I saved myself many, many tears from tuning my buffet and hutch into a regretfully painted mess.

The test piece worked like a charm. In fact there was one brief moment where I almost kept the test piece for myself. I was able to part with it, and get my original investment back, plus I had enough leftover funds to purchase paint for my own project.

The process of painting was a time consuming task, but not an impossible task.

This is how I approached it.



VoilĂ ! A fresh farmhouse style buffet and hutch,
new middle glass included.
Suddenly the eating area seems so much brighter!

1) Wiped down all the cabinet surfaces, removed the hardware, and separated the pieces.

2) Applied the first coat of paint, let it dry thoroughly, then applied a second coat.

3) My preference is to sand a small amount of paint away once the second coat is dry, (some sand after both painting and waxing) creating a slight distressed look. This part can be over done, be careful, remember less is more. Sanding is an art form unto itself.

4) Completed the project with a nice coat of chalk paint wax. The wax adds depth to the paint, and seals it up nicely.

5) Then put all the pieces back together again. I lightly spray painted my old hardware with a black spray paint in order to pop against the off-white paint.


TIPS:
*Buy a reputable paint product. I made the decision to use Valspar Chalk Paint. There's' also popular brands like Annie Sloan, and Rust-Oleum.
*Gather the proper tools, paintbrushes, painter's tape, sandpaper, screwdrivers ect.
*Research, there are tons of painted furniture pins on Pinterest.
*Watch YouTube videos, to see how it's done.
*Take your time! Don't rush because once you start there's no going back. Do it once, and do it right.

I'd say this project made the good idea list, no regrets!

Next issue to tackle, how do I resist painting everything?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Photo Display Board

Photos tell stories. Who you love, where you've been, and what you've done. I became interested in photography once I had children. I wanted to document every special fleeting moment, and to treasure those moments again years down the road. But, once the children got older, and less amiable to posing for pictures, I began focusing my lens on the world around me. Since then I discovered the enjoyment I feel when I try to make the most mundane things look interesting, and to share what I see with the world. How to display and admire my favourites has become a quandary. Frankly, there's only so much room in ones home to hang photos and art before you begin to look cluttered and disorganized.  We all can't live in castles on the hill. My solution to this was to create a revolving interchangeable display for photos, cards, art, certificates, mementos, and anything else that deserves a place of honour. I can change it on a whim, and to whatever suits my current fa

DIY Plant Stand on Wheels

Having plants is a joy, and displaying them can be a joy too! As much as I love the unique leafy characteristics of my plants, a major part of the equation is proper presentation. Each plant has it's own personality, therefore each of them deserves a special spot of their own. My cozy little abode has limited space for all the things I love (there's so much to love), how do I make it all fit without looking cluttered? When there's limitations one is then forced to be creative. I looked high and low for the perfect plant shelf to fit a particular spot in my home. The criteria was as follows; 1) Wheels to save me from moving individual pots about in search of just the right lighting conditions, and 2) it needed to fit the modern rustic farmhouse theme that I have begun transitioning too. Unfortunately nothing seemed to fit the bill. When I accepted the fact that the vision I had in my mind wasn't going to be found, I knew I had to investigate diy options. I&#